Sunday, July 27, 2008

Penner-Ash Rubeo 2006


On my annual trip to Oregon for family & friends fun consisting of hiking, white water rafting and of course a tour of some of the Willamette Valley vineyards and wineries, I ran across this little gem. I was lead there by a couple that live in Oregon and really know their Oregon wine. The Penner Ash Rubeo, a blend of Pinot Noir and Syrah. With a moderate price of $20 this was the most interesting and pleasing (at least for me) of the Penner Ash wines. They have a great selection of Pinots and a Viognier along with a Syrah. But this blend of Pinot Noir and Syrah really stands out from the rest. My friends that took us to this vineyard hit this on the head. I purchased a bottle to bring back and he purchased a bottle in which he was nice enough to share with me.
-Nick

EXPERIENCE
The wine is medium to full body, at first very earthy. Our Oregonian acquaintances like to say: “If the wine has an aroma of a compost pile, chances are that wine is going to be a good one.” You may ask, 'why would you want to drink something that smells that bad?', but have no fear. As this bottle opens up, the “compost” aroma fades and the wine takes off with an aroma of spice & fruit. The taste offers rich fruit with earth undertones that is well balanced from beginning to end. We really enjoyed this wine particularly because it is different than the “normal” huge, in your face wines that are now coming from the west coast.

VERDICT
GOOD AND CHEAP. You can't argue with a nicely balanced and pleasantly complex wine for around $20. Don't be scared by the description of the aroma... just think 'well tilled earth' rather than 'rotting garbage'.

FACTS
Penner-Ash is located in the northern Willamette Valley, Oregon. Their 2006 Rubeo is a blend of syrah and pinot noir. Check out their website for more details.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not normally a Pinot Noir fan, I've begun to try out some of late. And in fact, this has been one... and I really liked it!

I would have put it on the lighter side of full however, but with enough complexity to be worth it. And for a modest-ish price too...

Oregon has some surprises it seems.

Anonymous said...

This might be one of my favorite wines apart from their Syrah. We are pickin up more great wines from Penner-Ash on Sunday. Too bad we don't have great company to bring with us every time.

Unknown said...

I am jealous. I wish that I could be there to share that wine. I have to say that this wine is one of my favorites too. I know you'll enjoy. Wish I was there.